“It is with deepest regret that the Embassy must confirm the passing of a Filipina housewife and her three children previously reported to be missing under the rubble in Antakya,” it said in a statement posted on Facebook.
The Embassy added that the Filipino woman and her children were laid to rest by the Turkish husband “in accordance with Turkish tradition.”
“The embassy and the entire Department of Foreign Affairs family express their deepest condolences for this tragedy,” it said.
The quake has so far killed over 46,000 people, including two Filipino citizens. Authorities expect the death toll to increase as search and retrieval teams have continued to find bodies under rubble of collapsed buildings in Turkey and Syria.
The Philippine Embassy said that as of Sunday, the Philippine Government is hosting more than 20 families in the embassy shelter.
The team has also welcomed more than 70 individuals, composed of overseas Filipinos, children, Turkish spouses, and senior citizens.
“Since the start of operations, the Embassy team has met more than 70 Filipinos who have decided to remain in the provinces they have called home. Most were given assistance, according to their needs, while a handful respectfully declined so that it may be reserved for those in more dire situations,” it said in a statement.
The Embassy also reported that it has hastened the repatriation of all “qualified Filipino citizens” who want to the return to Philippines.
Those who wish to remain in Turkiye, meanwhile, were advised to contact the Embassy for assistance.
“The Embassy may assist in referring to housing and financial programs and other services provided by the Turkish Government for its displaced citizens,” it said.
The Embassy also thanked the Philippine humanitarian contingent team in Adiyaman province for their continued assistance, saying the team had swept through more than 30 buildings since their arrival.
The Philippine Medical Assistance Team (Pemat), meanwhile, has assisted at least 539 injured. (LMY)