Marcos paid his respects to Degamo as he visited his wake in Dumaguete City together with Special Assistant to the President Antonio Lagdameo Jr., Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla, Interior Secretary Benhur Abalos, Defense Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. and Philippine National Police (PNP) deputy chief for administration Lieutenant General Rhodel Sermonia.
He also talked to the families of the other victims.
Degamo died along with eight other civilians when armed suspects shot them at the governor’s residence in Pamplona town on Saturday, March 4. Thirteen individuals were also severely injured during the attack.
“I just came here para makiramay sa family ni Governor Roel. Nagtatanong lang kami kung ano pa ‘yung kailangang gawin, paano matulungan ‘yung mga biktima at pati ‘yung mga nasa ospital ngayon,” Marcos said in an interview with reporters.
(I just came here to express my condolences to Governor Roel’s family. We are just asking what else needs to be done, how to help the victims and also those who are in the hospital now.)
“Nandiyan ‘yung mga ibang kamag-anak at asawa ng mga namatay kaya’t nakausap din natin. Sinabi ko lang sa kanila na makakaasa sila na magkakaroon ng hustisya dito sa inyong probinsiya na naging masyadong magulo na,” he added.
(The other relatives and spouses of the deceased were there, so we also talked to them. I just told them that they can hope that there will be justice here in your province that has become so chaotic.)
Marcos committed to give educational scholarships to the children of the killed victims and to cover the medical expenses of those wounded.
As he condemned the incident, Marcos said his government will not rest until the perpetrators are brought to justice.
The police have so far arrested four out of the more than 10 gunmen who barged into Degamo’s place. One more suspect was killed in an encounter during the conduct of a hot pursuit operation.
Remulla earlier said that the end of the investigation is near as the arrested suspects give their statements, including the identification of the mastermind and this was even caught on video.
Two of the suspects have been placed under Witness Protection Program (WPP) to ensure their protection while investigation is ongoing.
Charges of multiple murder and frustrated murder and illegal possession of firearms have been filed against the arrested suspects. (SunStar Philippines)