
JOHANNESBURG: The number of U.S. airstrikes targeting jihadi terrorists in Somalia has escalated more than tenfold under the Trump administration this year to date, when compared to operations conducted under President Biden in 2024.
U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) verified to Digital on Friday that it executed 10 airstrikes in 2024, and has completed over 100 airstrikes in Somalia so far this year.
In the most recent military engagement on Tuesday, U.S. forces were involved in an airstrike and a reported gun battle, which lasted up to four hours, against ISIS-Somalia jihadists in Puntland, located in the northern region of this African nation. AFRICOM stated in a media release that the operation was carried out “in coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia.”
Multiple local sources indicated that terrorists were hit, with reports suggesting a high-level terror leader was either killed or captured, and up to 10 terrorists were eliminated. There have been no reports of U.S. casualties.
This attack is the latest in a series of missions over Somalia against various jihadi groups, primarily ISIS, ISIS-Somalia, and the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab.
An AFRICOM spokesperson informed Digital on Thursday that the U.S. “conducted an airstrike approximately 66 km southeast of Bossaso.” The spokesperson added, “To date, we’ve completed 101 airstrikes — 59 of which have specifically targeted ISIS-Somalia. In coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, we continue to take action to degrade ISIS-Somalia and al-Shabab’s ability to threaten the U.S. Homeland, our forces, and our citizens abroad.”
Local sources report that in this latest attack, U.S. forces first dropped missiles on the terrorists, who were said to be in and around a large cave. This was reportedly followed by an attack using 10 helicopters. During the battle, several sources claim U.S. troops disembarked from the helicopters.
However, U.S. military officials dismissed the fact that American forces stepped onto Somali soil, stressing there was no ground operation by American troops, and reiterating that such reports are inaccurate. In a public statement, AFRICOM said “specific details about units and assets will not be released to ensure continued operations security”.
In August, AFRICOM stated that they carried out airstrikes, with AFRICOM Commander Gen. Dagvin Anderson asserting, “these lethal strikes demonstrate our resolve and commitment to ensuring Americans and our partners remain safe from the threat of global terrorism.” The general continued that the strikes were aimed “against an organization that wishes to export their terror to the U.S. and our allies.”
Official photographs accompanying the media statement about the attacks showed U.S. aircraft launching from an aircraft carrier.
Ahmed Soliman, senior research fellow, Africa Program, Chatham House, told Digital, “The U.S. focus on [ISIS] in Puntland is partially driven by the goal of preventing another international [ISIS] “safe haven” from emerging, as well as the potential threat from ISIS-Somalia’s recruitment of foreign fighters.”
He continued, “However, the imbalance has led to growing concerns that the international response may be lagging behind the pace of al-Shabab’s resurgence in central and southern Somalia. Al-Shabab has leveraged this shifting international focus to reconsolidate its areas of operations. The group’s advances have taken place against a backdrop of Somalia’s increasingly fragmented domestic political landscape. Ongoing power struggles between the FGS (Federal Government of Somalia) and member states like Puntland and Jubaland have undermined coordination and counterterrorism efforts.”
In May, AFRICOM’s then Commander, , referring to strikes in Somalia, told Air & Space Forces Magazine, “the U.S. is actively pursuing and eliminating jihadists.”